What To Do After an Auto or Truck Accident in Texas

What To Do After an Auto or Truck Accident in TexasIf you have been involved in an automobile or truck wreck in Fort Worth or Dallas, there are several things which need to be done to make sure you are taken care of--both medically and with regard to your potential claim. Hiring an accident and injury attorney is one way to make sure you are treated fairly, but there are also things that you can do that will positively affect your claim.

At The Scene

First of all, you need to get yourself and your car out of the way of all traffic, if that is possible. Then you need to immediately dial 9-1-1 and ask for the police to be sent to the scene of the accident. If your injuries are such that you feel you should go to the hospital, then also ask for an ambulance. If you are able, then you need to obtain the name, phone numbers and insurance information of all drivers involved in the accident. Next, try to obtain the names and numbers of all witnesses. People who are not involved in the accident do not tend to stay at the scene for very long, so obtaining this information quickly is very important. Finally, take pictures of the damaged vehicles and the accident scene with a camera or cell phone.

In the event that you are in an accident ever again, I suggest you obtain a copy of my Accident Scene Checklist and place it in your glove box. It will help you remember what you are supposed to do.

Seek Medical Treatment

If you are hurt, you need to seek medical treatment immediately. Your injuries will only worsen if you do not seek proper treatment. Please check out our link on Your Medical Treatment for information on your options of healthcare providers. Do not let a lack of health insurance get in the way of receiving treatment. You deserve better. We also have some helpful information regarding the Common Types of Injuries suffered in car wrecks.

Contact An Experienced Injury Attorney

We strongly believe that just about all accident victims are better served by contacting an experienced injury attorney early in the process. Here are our thoughts on Finding the Right Attorney for You.  If you would like a no obligation, free case evaluation with a Board Certified Injury lawyer, call the Anderson Law Firm at 817-294-1900  or Contact Me Online.


All injury claims need to be investigated. Some accidents receive in-depth, comprehensive investigations. We employ an in-house investigator who conducts all of our investigations for us. For more information on why investigations are so important, please see our link on How to Investigate an Accident.

Have An Accident Report Made

Most car and truck wrecks have a "crash report" prepared by the local police department. These reports are extremely helpful and serve as a starting point for reporting the claim to the at-fault driver's insurance company and for the necessary investigation. Click here for our Analysis of a Police Report and click here for information on Obtaining Your Police Report.

For more helpful tips on what to do after a truck or car accident, check out 5 Important Things to Help You with Your Injury Claim.

As you can see, there are many things you must do after an accident occurs to keep all your bases covered and protect yourself. Let us assist you with this process and in recovering damages. Please call me toll free at 877-294-1115 or Contact Me Online.

Other Articles You Might Be Interested In:
Am I able to make a claim if I get hit by a driver who flees the accident?
How do I obtain my police report?

How do I start a claim with the other driver's insurance company?

What is the effect of signing a release after your accident?

Can I afford a good attorney?