My Personal Care Physician Refused to Treat Me After My Accident

Not all traffic wreck injuries require emergency medical treatment or an ambulance ride to the ER. Many times, car crash victims discover their injuries slowly become more apparent a few hours or days after their accident. As a Dallas-Fort Worth personal injury attorney, however, I strongly advise you to get checked out my a doctor as soon as possible following your collision, regardless of whether you are in pain or not.

Unfortunately, seeing a doctor after you've been hit by another motorist is sometimes easier said than done. For most of us, our first instinct would be to visit our family doctor to get be treated for whiplash or any other injuries. Yet Primary Care Physicians (PCPs) are increasingly refusing to treat accident victims.

Why Won't My Doctor Help Me?

In Texas, hospitals and medical professionals have a duty to provide emergency treatment. However, outside of that requirement, your doctor has no legal obligation to treat a personal injury victim who has been hurt due to someone else's negligence.

The main reason why primary care physicians so often refuse to treat accident victims is simply because they are afraid they won't get paid. There could be several reasons why they are worried about this. It could well be they've had a negative experienced in a similar situation before. A large part of the problem is that health insurance companies sometimes (only very rarely) refuse to pay for accident-related medical costs because they feel the at-fault person's insurance should cover the costs. Most of the time, the health insurance companies like Aetna, BCBS and United pay these bills and then seek subrogation from any  future accident claim. (Click here for more information on the concept and applicability of Subrogation).

Either way, if you've been hurt in an accident, your primary care physician (PCP) will probably not treat you unless you're in a position to pay them cash up front. We think that is flat wrong-but that is the way it is.

So What Do I Do? I'm Injured and I Need Help!

If your usual family doctor is unwilling to see you, it's important that you know you do have options. As a Board Certified personal injury lawyer, I am not only able to recommend doctors throughout the North Texas region, I can also make sure that they get paid - and that you receive the professional medical treatment that you need.

For more information on how the PI attorneys at the Anderson Law Firm can help you after you've been injured in an accident, give us a call toll free at 800-354-6275 or locally at 817-294-1900. We also offer a complimentary copy of my book 15 Mistakes That Will Wreck Your Texas Accident Case, which is full of information on your legal rights and responsibilities as a personal injury victim in the Lone Star State.

Other Articles You Might Be Interested In:

Life After An Accident Can Be Stressful Unless You Hire An Attorney
Be Thorough When You Talk to the Doctor
Obtaining Medical Treatment Through A Letter Of Protection

Do I really have to reimburse my health insurance company?

Easy Money? Big Mistake!

Mark A. Anderson
Board Certified Personal Injury Lawyer in Fort Worth, Texas