What to do When You Get a Subrogation Letter From Your Healthcare Provider


If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in a Dallas-Fort Worth motorcycle accident, you are likely facing a mountain of medical bills. As a Fort Worth personal injury and wrongful death lawyer, I know that any time a motorcyclist is involved in an auto collision with another vehicle, they are prone to suffer extremely severe injuries such as:

  • Road rash
  • Broken bones
  • Blunt force trauma
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Loss of limbs
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Paralysis
  • Death


The cost of emergency paramedic care, ER doctors, surgery, a hospital stay, rehabilitation and ongoing physical therapy can be enormous. Fortunately, if you have good health insurance you only have to pay until you reach your deductible, which you should reach quickly. After that, your insurance company will take care of the rest of the bills, right?


Not necessarily.


Most health insurance policies contain what is known as the “subrogation clause” which means that if you suffer injuries as a result of someone else’s negligence (for example, a motorcycle accident) then your medical insurance provider should not be forced to foot the bill – the insurance company of whoever was at fault should be liable. After all, your injuries were their client’s fault.


If your insurance provider decides to enact their right to claim subrogation it does not mean that you can’t still use your benefits to make sure you receive treatment, but your provider will expect you to make a personal injury claim against the at-fault party to recover compensation. You must then pay back your health insurance provider for the cost of your medical bills, however if you hire a good Fort Worth trial attorney, you will likely recover significantly more compensation for such damages as your loss of income, pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life.


For more information on your legal rights concerning subrogation or making a motorcycle injury claim in general, please call the Fort Worth personal injury and wrongful death lawyers at the Anderson Law Firm, toll free at 800-354-6275 or locally in Fort Worth at 817-294-1900.



Other Articles You Might Be Interested In:

Motorcycle Accidents 101

Who pays for the attorney - me or the insurance company?

Life-Threatening Injuries Caused by Motorcycle Wrecks

Personal Injury Compensation Types in Texas

Why do I have to pay back my health insurance company?