Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 800-354-6275
Phone: 817-294-1900
Anderson Law Firm
A- A A+

What Type of Doctor Should You See After a Car Accident?

Medical Care After Your WreckIt might seem like an obvious question, but the answer is not as simple as it might appear.  If you've been injured in a car accident in Fort Worth or Dallas, you will most likely need to seek medical attention.  Whether you immediately go to the hospital or not depends upon the severity of your injuries.  Most people that are seriously injured in a car wreck are transported by ambulance to the nearest hospital.  However, many people elect not to go by ambulance and instead wait to see if their injuries get better.  For the people who opt out of going immediately to the hospital, they are faced with a decision: what kind of doctor should they go to?

After practicing personal injury law in Fort Worth for more than 20 years, the accident attorneys at the Anderson Law Firm have found that many primary care doctors, also called family doctors, refuse to see their patients if they've been involved  in a car wreck.  Our lawyers would estimate that at least half of the family doctors here in the Fort Worth area will not see their patients if they've been involved in a car wreck.  The purported reason given is that they are fearful they will not be reimbursed by health insurance, which is simply not true. Health insurance pays for accident-related medical treatment all of the time.  At the Anderson Law Firm, we know this because we deal with paying health insurance companies back, as they often have a right of subrogation.  It is something we deal with on a daily basis.

So if your family doctor refuses to see you – or if you do not have a family doctor – what doctor do you go to after the accident?  If the injuries are serious, clearly you need to go to the emergency room.  Other options are go to a facility like a Care Now.  However, these facilities will require payment up front.  If you have health insurance, your only payment will be a co-pay/deductible.  If you don't have health insurance, they will require payment in full.

The type of doctor you need to see really depends on your injuries sustained in your Fort Worth car accident. You might need to go see an orthopedic doctor, or maybe a chiropractor or a pain management doctor. It all depends on the body part or parts that are hurt.

Are You Worried About the Mounting Medical Bills After Your Car Accident?

If you are not at fault in causing the car wreck, you have the option of hiring a personal injury attorney to assist with your medical care.  At the Anderson Law Firm, we provide what are called letters of protection to various doctors.  These are letters asking the doctor or facility to treat our clients while withholding billing the client for the services until after the claim is resolved.  That way, our clients are able to receive medical treatment but not be forced to incur the cost of the medical care up front.  At the conclusion of the insurance claim, the doctors or facilities will be paid for the treatment they rendered.  The letters of protection (or LOP) are wonderful to car wreck victims as they allow injured parties to seek medical attention whereas without it, they would be forced to either not be able to seek the medical care they need or they would have to pay out of pocket.  If the accident was not your fault, being forced to pay out of pocket is certainly not fair, or sometimes not even feasible.

If you have questions regarding your medical care, please call us for a no-obligation, free consultation.  You can also order our book called 15 Mistakes That Will Wreck Your Texas Accident Case.  This book provides valuable information to victims of car wrecks.

Other Articles You Might Be Interested In:
No Health Insurance: How to Obtain the Necessary Medical Treatment After an Accident

The Insurance Company Will Not Pay For Your Medical Treatment On Time
What We Do For Our Personal Injury Clients
How Will I Pay For Medical Care?
How Long Should I Seek Medical Treatment?

Mark A. Anderson
Board Certified Personal Injury Lawyer in Fort Worth, Texas