Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 800-354-6275
Phone: 817-294-1900
Anderson Law Firm
A- A A+

What happens if the other driver does not carry enough liability car insurance?

In Texas, it is state law that you carry at least $30,000 in liability insurance on your vehicle. Even though carrying liability insurance is state law, not everyone has it or what you find out many times after being hurt in a wreck, they don’t carry enough.  Thirty thousand dollars in liability coverage may sound like a lot of money initially, but accident costs can accumulate into the hundreds of thousands – fast.

So what do you do if the person that hit you doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your damages?

Let’s say your injuries have cost more than the other driver’s policy limits but you still need more treatments in order to get better. Do you have any options?  If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist protection, you do.

Working as a personal injury lawyer in Fort Worth for the past 20 years, I know that there is no insurance coverage that will help you like uninsured/underinsured motorist. I often recommend it as the best kind of insurance you can buy. Why is it the best kind of car insurance to have? Because it will protect you from people that either don’t own, or don’t have enough liability insurance to cover your damages.  That means if you are hit by somebody who is underinsured, you will be insured for your damages under you UIM/UM policy.

What happens if I don’t have UIM/UM coverage and I’m hit by someone who is uninsured?

Unfortunately, if you are involved in an accident caused by an irresponsible driver who is either underinsured or uninsured, you have very limited options. Fortunately, lots of drivers have Uninsured Motorist Coverage and don’t even realize it – check your coverage today to make sure you have this vital coverage.

If you need help with a claim against an underinsured motorist, contact the Anderson Law Firm in Fort Worth. Our accident and injury lawyers will tell you what your best legal options are in a free case consultation and will explain the legal process in terms you can understand. There is never any money required from you upfront and our law firm has three DFW offices for your convenience. If you need help getting back on your feet after getting in a car accident caused by an underinsured motorist, the Anderson Law Firm is ready to assist you.

Other Articles You Might Be Interested In:
Making a Claim Against All Insurance Policies Available
How To Interpret a Crash Report After Your Texas Car Accident
Money Matters: Long-Term Financial Debt as a Result of Being Injured in an Accident
The Insurance Adjuster Might Seem Nice… But They’re Not!
A Step-By-Step Guide: What You Should Do After a Car Crash

Mark A. Anderson
Board Certified Personal Injury Lawyer in Fort Worth, Texas