Every once in a while there is a new fad going around among the younger population. As absurd as they may sound, some kids are actually taking part of challenges and sharing them on social networks for everyone to see. While the majority of people take part in these so-called “challenges” do it for fun, there are those who have been rushed to the hospital for their injuries, and in certain cases, deaths.
A new challenge, or fad, has come, this time being in the form of eating Tide detergent pods. Yes, you read it correctly. Teens are eating Tide pods and recording their reactions on social media. Find out why it’s dangerous below.
Past Dangerous Challenges
First, let’s take a look at previous challenges. These challenges have been prominent from teenagers to young adults, and each is very dangerous. Here are three popular (and unsafe) challenges that have occurred within the past ten years:
- Spoonful of cinnamon challenge. This challenge involves placing a spoonful of cinnamon in one’s mouth. This causes the mouth to severely dry, and can cause asphyxiation, as was the case for Brianna Radar’s family, a Kentucky mother whose son died because of the challenge.
- Saltine crackers challenge: Similar to the cinnamon challenge, this challenge involves placing several saltine crackers in one’s mouth and an attempt to eat them without swallowing. This causes the mouth to become very dry, and could cause asphyxiation.
- Gallon of milk challenge: This challenge involves attempting to drink an entire gallon of milk in one take (by “chugging” it). This is very dangerous because of the consequences associated with drinking great amounts of milk at once due to great amounts of lactose, casein, and calcium found in milk, not to mention liquid being slipped into one’s lungs.
Seems crazy that anyone would take part of these challenges, right? As absurd as these challenges sound, the Tide pod challenge can have even worse consequences.
The Tide Pod Challenge
People - most specifically, teenagers and young adults - have started a challenge that can be even more dangerous than those mentioned above: eating Tide pods. Tide pods are detergents made to go inside a washing machine to clean clothes. There is no danger in using Tide pods as they were designed to be used, and no harm should be expected from using them in the laundry.
There is, however, a big problem that arises when a Tide pod is ingested.
Injuries from consuming Tide pods have involved:
- Respiratory arrest
- Injury to the esophagus
- Injury to organs
- Lung failure
What Other Suggestions Do You Have?
The chemicals found in Tide pods are not and should not be consumed in any way. As the sample of injuries listed above (many other types of injuries can be caused by consuming Tide pods) show, eating a Tide pod is certainly something that no one should take part of. For this reason, it is highly suggested to:
- Not eat Tide pods
- Keep Tide pods out of reach of children
- Keep detergents, chemicals, and anything else that is not meant to be consumed.
What other suggestions do you have for staying away from dangerous challenges? What other challenges do you know of that people should avoid at all costs? Let us know in the comments below.