Posted in: by Anderson Injury Lawyers

Yes. If you are in a crash with an illegal resident, then you can still pursue a personal injury claim as long as they have insurance. However, the claim can become complicated quickly. Read below to learn more.

If you need help filing a claim after an accident, contact Anderson Injury Lawyers as quickly as possible. You will need to act fast to get the compensation you deserve. Call (817) 294-1900 or use our online contact form to reach out.

Many Illegal Residents Have Motor Vehicle Insurance

Even if someone is in the United States illegally, they may still have valid car insurance. If they do and cause a wreck, then the insurance company should pay out the claim.

Sometimes illegal residents purchase car insurance on their own, and other times they are driving someone else’s vehicle, and that person has insurance. You can file a claim against the insurance company on that car and get compensation in either event.

What Could Go Wrong?

When you’re involved in an accident with someone in the country illegally, many things could go wrong. If they flee the country, the insurance company may refuse to cover your claim because their insured is not cooperating. However, they should still pay out. It’s essential to work with a personal injury attorney to ensure your rights are protected throughout the process.

What if They Don’t Have Insurance?

If the illegal resident didn’t have insurance, then you have a few options. You may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against them directly. Illegal residents can be parties in lawsuits in the United States. These cases can be complicated because it can be hard to find illegal residents to serve them complaints and give them necessary legal documents.

Some illegal residents do not work legally and have minimal resources to pay a personal injury verdict if you do win. It might not be worth filing the lawsuit and paying court costs and other related fees.

If the other party does not have insurance, you may be able to file a claim on your insurance policy. You can use your uninsured motorist coverage to pay for your losses. You might think you don’t need an attorney to navigate a claim with your insurance, but you do. Like all insurance, your own company is trying to make money. They may offer you a low settlement or deny your claim for a multitude of reasons.

An Attorney Can Help if You’re in a Crash With an Illegal Resident

It’s important to reach out to a lawyer as soon as possible. You will want to get into contact with the illegal resident and prevent them from fleeing the country or otherwise avoiding their responsibility to pay you for the damages they caused. Anderson Injury Lawyers can help.

Call Anderson Injury Lawyers today at (817) 294-1900 or use our online contact form.