Posted in: by Anderson Injury Lawyers

If you or someone you love is injured in a traffic collision or any other type of accident which was not your fault but instead the result of someone else’s negligence, you have a legal right to pursue compensation to cover your medical bills, lost income and other accident-related expenses. Even if you have Government health insurance through Medicare or Medicaid it is important that you are aware of your legal rights because you may be required to reimburse Medicare or Medicaid if you make a claim for compensation.

If you are a Medicare or Medicaid patient, do not accept any money from the at-fault party’s insurance company or attempt to settle your case without first speaking with a board certified Fort Worth personal injury and wrongful death lawyer.

What is Medicare/Medicaid?

Medicare is a Federally-funded health insurance program which assists people older than 65 (and younger people with certain disabilities) in paying their healthcare costs. There are four distinct parts to the overall Medicare program which comprise hospital insurance to help pay for in-patient care, insurance which pays for doctor services and other services/supplies, Medicare Advantage (similar to a traditional HMO or PPO), and a prescription drug coverage plan.

Medicaid is a state-run program designed to assist lower income individuals and families to receive the hospital services and general medical care they would not otherwise be able to provide.

Some people are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid coverage. In these circumstances, Medicare will usually pay the majority of each medical care bill and Medicaid will pay a much smaller portion.

Will Medicare or Medicaid cover me if I am injured in an accident?

Although both Medicare and Medicaid will help you meet the cost of necessary medical treatments such as surgery and rehabilitative costs following a car crash or other serious accident, sometimes it is hard to get the medical provider to bill Medicare and Medicaid. The providers sometimes believe that the injured party should first recover money from the liability insurance company for the party responsible for the injuries. But these liability insurance companies will never just pay the medical bill directly. They just don’t do that. The end result is that the injured party is stuck with medical bills that need to get paid. The best way for those bills to get paid is to make a personal injury claim with the help of a board certified lawyer.

It is critical that you speak with a board certified Fort Worth personal injury lawyer as soon as possible if you or a member of your family has been injured in an accident. The attorneys at the Anderson Injury Lawyers offer free no obligation consultations to help you making a mistake which could ruin your chances of recovering the maximum available compensation, which could make you responsible for the money paid by either Medicare or Medicaid on your behalf.