Posted in: by Anderson Injury Lawyers

Personal injury cases can be complex, and they often involve legal terms like “subrogation” that are hard to understand. That’s why it’s important to work with a personal injury lawyer who will explain the legal process to you step by step and keep you informed.

Attorney Mark Anderson has worked with thousands of victims of car wrecks, truck accidents, and other personal injury incidents, and he can help you too. Call us today at (817) 294-1900 or use our online contact form to reach out.

What Is Subrogation?

Subrogation often comes up when health insurance is also involved in a personal injury claim. When major medical insurance pays for your medical expenses after an accident, they have a right to be reimbursed out of your settlement or verdict recovery for damages.

In order to have the right to be reimbursed in a personal injury claim, that right must be specifically spelled out in the contract between you and the insurance company or your employer and the insurance company, if you have a group plan through work. You need an attorney to look at that contract and evaluate that right of reimbursement before you pay part of your settlement to the health insurance company.

How Do I Know If I Need to Reimburse My Health Insurance Company?

You will likely receive a letter from your insurance company or a third party on their behalf stating that if you recover a settlement or verdict compensating you for damages, then you need to reimburse them for their expenses. You should immediately turn that over to your personal injury attorney.

Do I Always Have to Reimburse My Health Insurance Company?

No. Your contract might not have a clause that mandates that you reimburse your health insurance company after a personal injury accident. Once they pay out for a claim, that might be the final decision and they may not need to be compensated for what they paid. The only way you will know for sure is to take your insurance policy to your attorney and have them evaluate it.

How Can Anderson Injury Lawyers Help?

Attorney Mark Anderson is familiar with subrogation and the way insurance companies often work together to reduce the amount of money that the victim in a personal injury case gets. He will advocate for you and help you retain as much money as possible. First, he will evaluate your health insurance policy and determine if they have a right to reimbursement. Then, he will do an accurate accounting of how much they have paid. We will make sure you don’t relinquish too much of your settlement to another insurance company.

Call us today at (817) 294-1900 or use our online contact form to reach out.