What to Do When Your Doctor Refuses to Treat You After a Wreck

After you’ve been hurt in an accident, you expect your family doctor to help you. Many people think that they’re doing the right thing by avoiding a trip to the ER (if they can help it) and waiting instead to see their primary care physician. Sadly, there are doctors who don’t accept car accident injuries. That’s right. There are doctors who refuse to see patients simply because they were hurt in an auto accident.

If your doctor won’t see you after an accident, here’s what you need to know.

Why Won’t My Doctor See Me?

There are multiple reasons a doctor might refuse a patient after car wreck.

Sometimes, the doctor has instated a “rule” that they don’t take auto accident cases. Usually it’s because of the additional paperwork, billing, phone calls, etc. that come along with auto wreck cases. This is unfair, yes, but (aside from the ER) doctors have no legal obligation to treat anyone. They can deny whoever they want.

Other times, it’s a billing issue. If you’ve been hurt in an accident that was someone else’s fault, it means there are multiple insurance companies involved, multiple parties, a potentially pending lawsuit, and so on. In a nutshell, doctors worry that they won’t get paid.

A doctor might tell you that they need a letter from one of the auto insurance companies stating that they will, with certainty, cover your medical expenses. Of course, accident claims take time. You’re hurt and you need help now – you shouldn’t have to wait for your case to settle to get the treatment you need.

How a Letter of Protection Can Help

A letter of protection (LOP) is a “contract” created by your personal injury attorney. This document is an agreement between your doctor, your lawyer and you that your medical expenses will be paid for at a future date. The doctor “holds” your bills until your case settles, and agrees to be paid out of that settlement. LOPs are used in many different kinds of personal injury claims, such as car wrecks, childcare injuries, workplace accidents, and so much more.

If you need surgery but don’t have insurance, or if you can’t afford your deductible, you can get an LOP from your personal injury attorney, which will allow you to get the medical attention you need right away and with no upfront costs.

How to Get a Letter of Protection

It is important to remember that in order to get a letter of protection, you can’t be at fault for the accident. (The other driver must be to blame).

In order to get a letter of protection, the injured car accident victim must hire a personal injury attorney. Only an attorney can write a letter of protection.

Typical Ways Letters of Protection Help If You are Injured with No Insurance

Here are just a handful of situations that might warrant a letter of protection (and hiring a personal injury attorney).

If you were hurt in a car accident and you:

  • …do not have insurance but needs surgery
  • …do not have enough insurance but needs medical attention
  • …cannot afford a surgery, even if you have health insurance
  • …need surgery but don’t know how to pay for it
  • …need an medical appointment to see if you are alright after an accident
  • …need a chiropractor and physical therapy

And so on!

Should You Hire the Anderson Injury Lawyers?

Car accidents can be devastating, especially if you don’t have health insurance. That’s why contacting and hiring a personal injury attorney is your best bet going forward. Remember, if you need medical treatment following a car accident, such as a general examination, surgery, physical rehabilitation, or any other accident-related medical treatment, and you can’t afford the expenses out of pocket, then you’ll need a letter of protection.

The Anderson Injury Lawyers has been successfully representing injured car accident victims for over twenty years, we know exactly how to fight back this and other tactics that the insurance company tries to use. We have a fully staffed, bilingual legal team who are more than happy to take care of the entire claims process for you. Contact us today at 817-717-4731 so you can be on your path to recovery with the worry of debt or not paying for your medical treatment!

Do You Need a Dallas-Fort Worth Doctor Who Accepts Car Accident Cases?

We can help. Give us a call at the Anderson Injury Lawyers at 817-717-4731 to set up a free, no-obligation consultation.

Contact Us

If you suffered harm in an accident or any incident caused by negligence, contact Anderson Injury Lawyers right away. We offer individualized attention, over 25 years of experience, and everything you need to get everything you deserve.

P 817-294-1900

E advice@fulljustice.com

  • We accept calls 24/7 /
  • We’ll meet you where it’s convenient /
  • free consultations /
  • no upfront legal fees /
  • you owe us nothing unless we win