What You Need To Know About The Settlement Process in Child Injury Claims

Structured SettlementsIf you know someone involved in a Burleson, Texas child injury accident, and you have already filed a child injury claim with an experienced Burleson child injury attorney, it is important to know how the child injury settlement process works. A minor can recover all of the same damages as an adult can recover—basically medical bills, future lost wages, pain and suffering, impairment, and disfigurement. Since a kid cannot hire an attorney, the claim is brought by the parent or legal guardian on the child’s behalf.

In cases involving a minor, no money can be received until he or she reaches the age of 18. This guarantees that only the child injured will have access to the money, not the parents or other siblings in the family. The money awarded will be either put into the registry of the court (basically a court approved savings account), or it will be put in what we call a structured settlement. A structured settlement is a financial or insurance agreement that is delivered in periodic payments. So instead of receiving their money all at one time, the minor usually receives it in small and equal payments over time. It makes the settlement process in child injury claims fairly easy and convenient.

The courts in Tarrant and Johnson Counties prefer structured settlements for this same reason because ultimately the justice system looks out for the best interests of the child. It is important to have the money available to him or her when she is old enough to make a decision.

If you have a child who was involved in a Burleson child injury accident, call Mark Anderson, Tarrant/Johnson County minor attorney at 817-294-1900. Don’t let the legal process confuse you, let a board certified attorney help you with the child injury settlement process.

Other Articles You Might Be Interested In:
What Can A Child Injury Lawyer Do For Me?
What Damages Are Recoverable In A Child Injury Case?
How Can I Be Sure That My Child's Future Financial Security Will Be Properly Protected?
If My Child Died As The Result of an Accident, Should I FIle A Lawsuit?
What Should I Do If My Child Has Been Injured?

Mark A. Anderson
Connect with me
Board Certified Personal Injury Lawyer in Fort Worth, Texas