Whose Insurance Company Do I Call After a Fort Worth Car Wreck?


If you have been involved in a car wreck in Fort Worth, Texas, you may be faced with the question of whose insurance company do you call?  As Fort Worth Injury Lawyers who have handled many, many insurance cases, we have learned that the answer depends upon several things.  First of all, who was at fault?  If the other driver caused your car wreck, then you definitely need to call the other driver’s insurance company.  Sometimes you do not even know the name of the other driver’s insurance company because the information was not given to you at the crash scene.  This happens most often when the accident causes injuries and you are transported from the scene by an ambulance to a local hospital.  In such instances, you do not get a chance to even talk to the other driver to find out about their insurance.  Also, even when there is not an ambulance involved, sometimes the investigating police officer says that you can get the information in the officer prepared Crash Report.  Those reports are usually not available for two to five days.  (Click here for more information on how the Anderson Law Firm will provide this report for you for free).

Use a Police Report

          Sometimes you will obtain the Crash Report and learn that the other driver did not have insurance.  In such instances, you might consider contacting the other driver directly to see if that information on the police report is accurate.  Sometimes people have insurance but just do not have it with them at the time. (They should receive a ticket for Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility).  Other times, such as in Drunk Driving (DWI) cases, the other driver does not have a chance to produce their insurance and so the investigating police officer puts down they have no insurance.  Many times, the drunk driver actually did have insurance, but the policeman was understandably focused on arresting the driver for driving while intoxicated and did not bother to check to see if the driver had liability insurance as required by the State of Texas.

          Other times, when you obtain the accident report, you learn that the car is owned by somebody other than the driver.  Assuming that the driver had the car with permission (and was not a stolen vehicle), then the owner’s car insurance is the first option for insurance coverage.  If there is not enough insurance there to cover your injuries and damages, then the driver’s car insurance goes second – after the owner’s insurance.  Usually, what is contained in the police report is the owner’s insurance as most people do not carry their own personal insurance with them when they drive someone else’s car.  So the information in the police report will usually contain the owner’s insurance and that is the company you need to call first.

Contact Your Insurance Company

          It’s also important that you call your own insurance carrier after your wreck, even if you didn’t cause the accident. Many people do not want to call their own insurance carrier after a car wreck, but it is in the policy language that you are supposed to notify them if you have been involved in an accident.  Besides complying with your own insurance policy, another reason to call your insurance company is to determine what kind of coverage you have that may protect you – even if the other side was at fault in the accident.  Always ask your insurance agent or insurance company representative to confirm the coverage you have.  Some of the things you need to look for are:



          Besides contacting the insurance company, another thing you must do is to make sure that you seek prompt medical treatment for any injuries you may have sustained in the accident.  Failure to properly treat your injuries might harm any potential personal injury claim you decide to bring later on.

Furthermore, many people do not realize the many types of compensation available after they have been injured in a car accident. There is compensation available for lost wages as a result of missing work to care for injuries, medical expenses (such as medicine, visits to the emergency room, emergency services such as ambulance and helicopter rides, rehabilitation services), pain and suffering, and much more. Essentially, if you were injured in a car accident and there were expenses involved, you may be entitled to receive compensation for these and other costs. If you are concerned in paying for an attorney, there are good news. We offer our services in a contingency basis, which means that only and after our attorneys win your case, there is a certain percentage that of the final amount that goes to attorney fees; the rest is yours! This means that you do not have to pay for anything upfront - not even a single penny - for hiring our attorneys!

Injured in a Taxi Wreck? Contact the Anderson Law Firm

Pursuing an insurance/injury claim can be a complicated process.  At the Anderson Law Firm, we offer free consultations where we educate consumers on their legal rights.  If you have been injured in an automobile wreck and would like to schedule a free consultation, please give us a call at 817-717-4731.


Other Articles You Might Be Interested In:
Am I able to make a claim if I get hit by a driver who flees the accident?
How do I obtain my police report?
How do I start a claim with the other driver's insurance company?
What is the effect of signing a release after your accident?
Can I afford a good attorney?

Mark A. Anderson
Connect with me
Board Certified Personal Injury Lawyer in Fort Worth, Texas