Can You Make an Insurance Claim Against Multiple Policies?

In short, yes. 

If you were hurt in a car accident in Texas, you know that you can make a claim against the at-fault driver's liability insurance. However, depending on the accident and the situation, there could be other insurance policies available to you as well. You CAN make a claim against more than one. 

When You Can Make a Claim Against Multiple Parties

At the Anderson Law Firm in Fort Worth, our injury lawyers most commonly claim against multiple policies in these situations: 

  • If you were injured at work by someone other than your employer or a colleague. For example, if you were bringing in carts outside your job at the grocery store and got hit by a negligent driver.  In that case, you could make a claim through your worker's compensation benefits AND against the driver who hit you. If you have personal injury protection (PIP), you could also make a claim through that. 
  • If you've been hurt in an automobile accident that was someone else's fault, but they don't have insurance (or don't have enough insurance to fully pay for all of your injuries and damages), you can make a claim against them AND your underinsured motorist coverage. A lot of people have this kind of coverage without even realizing it. 
  • If you are a passenger and are hurt in a car accident, then you could make a personal injury claim against the driver that caused the accident and then, assuming that you and the driver of the vehicle you were in has PIP, you can make a claim against that as well. 

Dealing with multiple insurance policies can be complicated, but it's important that you figure out all the policies available to you, especially if you have big damages and serious injuries. 

In Texas accident cases, there is usually chance that there is more coverage available than the average person realizes. 

(Want to learn more about how to make a successful car accident claim in Texas? Download my free guide instantly). 

Do You Need a Lawyer?

Not every accident victim needs an attorney, but if you were hurt ina  wreck and you're unsure what insurance is available to you, it cold be worth consulting an attorney to set up a free consultation. 

Our accident and injury attorneys can make sure that you are getting the maximum compensation from all the insurance policies available.  If you were hurt in an accident and think there are multiple insurance policies you could make a claim against, call the Anderson Law Firm in Fort Worth at 817-294-1900 to set up a free case review with one of our top rated injury lawyers.

Other Articles You Might Be Interested In:
What is PIP coverage?
What is uninsured motorists coverage (UM/UIM) and do I need it?
Deadline For Filing Personal Injury Claims
Starting A Claim With The Insurance Company
Getting Monetary Compensation for Your Claim   

Mark A. Anderson
Connect with me
Board Certified Personal Injury Lawyer in Fort Worth, Texas