What To Do If You’ve Received a Bill From Emergency Services Following Your Auto Accident

texas insurance


If you've been in a car wreck, motorcycle accident or truck crash and you were not the motorist at-fault for the accident, then Texas law allows you to claim damages from the other driver's insurance company. This includes compensation for bodily injury, property damage, loss of income, pain and suffering, etc.

Unfortunately, along with a claim comes lots of paperwork and confusion, and you could potentially get a bill for costs that are actually the responsibility of the at-fault motorist. 

What If You Get a Bill that the Other Driver's Supposed to Pay?

It's becoming more and more common for accident victims to receive bills from the fire department charging them for the emergency response services provided after a wreck (like a trip to the hospital in an ambulance). However, if you were not the at-fault party, then payment for these bills is not your responsibility. 

If you've been getting bills from the fire department, you'll need to let them know they're making a mistake and give them the information of the at-fault driver. There's no legal obligation for the fire department to heed your advice, but they'll usually stop billing you if you ask them to. 

Put Your Request in Writing

I recommend putting your request in writing. Send a letter back to the biller explaining that the accident wasn't your fault and notify them of the at-fault driver’s insurance company information. If you have the contact details of the specific insurance adjustor assigned to your case, you might want to send them a copy of your letter too. It is also worth enclosing a copy of the police crash scene report which shows you are not liable with your letter to both the billing fire department and the at-fault person’s insurance company.

For more information on dealing with life after a traffic wreck, you may be interested in my book 15 Mistakes That Will Wreck Your Texas Accident Case. To request your free copy, please call my office toll free at 800-354-MARK (6275) or call locally in Fort Worth at 817-294-1900 or in Dallas at 214-327-8000.


Other Articles You Might Be Interested In:

We’ll Get Your Accident Report For Free

How To Interpret Your Police Crash Report

Making a Car Wreck Injury Claim in DFW

Do Not Delay: Waiting To Get Medical Help Can Ruin Your Injury Claim

“It’s Your Fault”: How the Insurance Company Will Try to Shift Blame to You   


Mark A. Anderson
Connect with me
Board Certified Personal Injury Lawyer in Fort Worth, Texas