Should I purchase PIP or MedPay?

If you are purchasing car insurance for yourself or a loved one, the decision may come up about whether to purchase Personal Injury Protection (PIP) or Med Pay. In Texas, you are not required to purchase either, but both are "no-fault" types of insurance that you can purchase on your own. Med Pay and PIP offer coverage up to a pre-determined limit that will pay for bodily injury resulting from a car accident, regardless of who was at-fault. But at the Anderson Law Firm, our Fort Worth personal injury attorneys believe one is better than the other.  Here’s how PIP and Med Pay work:

Med Pay
-        Med Pay is very similar to PIP in that it will cover your medical bills (hospitalization, dental, surgical, chiropractic, x-rays) after your accident
-        Does not cover any of your lost wages
-        If you recover money from a third party by filing a personal injury claim for your injuries, you will have to pay the Med Pay carrier back
-        Med Pay might not offer you any benefits if you already have good health insurance

-        Covers everything Med Pay covers, PLUS lost wages and even some treatments like psychiatric and physical therapy, depending upon your policy 
-        Higher coverage limits than Med Pay are likely available
-        In Texas, it is available in amounts from $2,500 to $100,000, depending on the insurance company.

The Fort Worth personal injury lawyers at the Anderson Law Firm recommend that every driver in Texas carry some amount of PIP. Even though it is illegal, there are so many uninsured or under insured drivers out there. With PIP, you can be protected even if you get hit by an uninsured or under insured motorist. It will pay for your medical bills and lost wages in the unfortunate incident that you are hurt in a car accident.

Other Articles You Might Be Interested In:
How Does Personal Injury Protection Work?
How Much Damage To Your Car Do You Need To Support A Personal Injury Claim in Tarrant County?
In A Wreck? Use Your Health Insurance
Damages Recoverable in an Accident Case
Should I give a recorded statement?
Mark A. Anderson
Connect with me
Board Certified Personal Injury Lawyer in Fort Worth, Texas