If you've been injured in a Texas truck wreck and it was the trucker's fault, their insurance company is responsible for paying for your injuries and damages. Luckily, trucking companies are required to carry huge insurance policies - sometimes in the millions of dollars.
Subject to certain exceptions, the minimum insurance requirements for motor carriers are as follows:
- For hire motor carriers operating a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight exceeding 10,000 pounds (transporting non-hazardous property) must have at least $750,000 in coverage.
- For hire and private motor carriers operating in interstate or foreign commerce which operate vehicles with gross weight exceeding 10,000 lbs. (hauling oil, hazardous waste or hazardous materials or substances) must have at least $1,000,000 in coverage.
- Any company operating portable tanks, cargo or hopper-type vehicles with capacities in excess of 3,500 water gallons must have at least $5,000,000 in coverage.
Interstate motor carriers of passengers (buses), also have insurance minimums:
- Any vehicle with a seating capacity of 16 passengers or more: $5,000,000.
- Any vehicle with a seating capacity of 15 passengers or less: $1,500,000.
Texas has similar minimum insurance limits with certain exceptions. Some exceptions to the rule include buses transporting only school children or vehicles providing taxicab service with a seating capacity of less than seven passengers, among many others.
So why does all of this matter?
If you've been injured by a trucker and you've got significant damages and injuries, you know that the trucking company can afford to pay you a fair settlement. Simply knowing that trucking companies carries a million dollars in insurance is valuable ammunition - you won't be fooled into taking a laughable offer.
If the trucking company's insurance adjuster doesn't want to pay you fairly for the accident their trucker caused, it's time to consult a Texas personal injury attorney. Feel free to call me at the Anderson Law Firm for a free, no obligation consultation.
Download My Free Guide
If you or someone you love has been hurt in a semi-truck accident, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. You’re missing work, you might have unpaid medical bills, you’re in pain and you feel uncertain about the future.
I wrote this guide to help accident victims understand the right steps to take after an accident to ensure they get the money they need to pay for their injuries, damages, lost wages and pain and suffering.
Download my free guide now: How to Make a Successful Truck Wreck Claim in Texas