What If the Police Officer Didn't Write a Report After My Accident?

If you've been involved in an accident in Texas, there's a good chance the responding police officer prepared what is called a crash report. But in many cases, the police officer for a multitude of reasons does not complete a police report. In that situation, can you still pursue a civil claim against the responsible party?

The answer is yes. Usually if an accident report is not prepared you are given a blue form, which is an exchange of information. We encourage you to do that, fill out that form and send it in. It memorializes that the wreck occurred. At that time, when you exchange it, you end up with the other side's name, address and insurance information. The only down side to not having a police report is that you don't have the crash report to document who is at fault. But that is ok, a claim can still be pursued for your pain and suffering, medical bills and lost wages.

Mark A. Anderson
Connect with me
Board Certified Personal Injury Lawyer in Fort Worth, Texas